Whooping Chickens

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Never. Is never good for you?

What is this ‘later’ everyone is supposed to have? My husband just opened his Christmas iPod and I noticed the ‘podcast’ setting – so the tech-patient can download digital radio programs to listen to…’later.’ My bookkeeper/office manager has a TIVO and is always noting the programs she’s recorded (or is it ‘captured?’) to watch – later.

I have no later. My laters are all booked. As are my nows. I have about 14 books on my night table that all looked amazing and utterly necessary when I was standing in the bookstore – I’ll be happy to list them for you – later. And I suppose I’ll get to them one day, but meanwhile my mother-in-law had a copy of the new John Berendt book about the burning of the Fenice opera house in Venice. I’m an impressive 60 pages in and trying to focus on getting through it before the next New Yorker comes.
See, that’s the problem. I started reading the New Yorker, or attempting to read the New Yorker. I don’t understand people who read it every week and also claim to read the entire Sunday Times. I get through the cartoons and the occasional Andy Borowitz humor piece.I get the Times and the Wall Street Journal every day. I read the front page. On Mondays I manage to read the ‘metropolitan diary’ where people tell cute stories of what happened to them in the city. (People without blogs, that is. Nonblogs. The Blogless. The Abloglic.) Y’know it just occurred to me my neighbor has a parrot. Maybe she’d like my newspapers. I’ll have to ask her. Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home