Whooping Chickens

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Rebel Without a Clue

The boychild is signed up for two weeks of sailing lessons. He’s staying with my mother-in-law and we’re all just praying it goes well. Because, while he can be a loving and kind and thoughtful eight-year-old who makes my coffee and brings his sister a cold compress to soothe the spot where he’s just walloped her in a tussle, he can also be wayward and cantankerous and sullen.

It’s been a problem all year with the school. I keep getting phone calls and comments like, “I complimented him on his behavior and he acted offended.” “I just don’t understand him.”

How can I tell them the truth? This isn’t a phase. This is DNA. His paternal grandfather ran away from home at 13 and hitchhiked across the country, working at a dude ranch. My father ran away from home at 13 and got a job as a bag boy until his dad showed up and brought him home. Self-sufficient is the nice way to put it. The men on this family tree just don’t fall into line. They just don’t. They don’t take orders, they don’t think anyone has good sense except themselves, and they don’t want to hear it.

The good news? Both grandfathers were successful in their own businesses. Their own. As in not working for anybody else. I swear if my son could learn an ounce of charm he could be president. He has more practical sense than any kid you’ve ever met. As long as he’s in charge. But patience? Perspective? The ability to see anyone else’s point of view?

Please somebody tell me this is normal eight year old boy. Or recommend a good military school.

I’m going to go run a hot bath and fill it full of SkinMilk bubbles. Then I won’t be able to get the phone when the sailing instructor calls to say “come pick him up.”
Give me strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home