Whooping Chickens

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hip-ocrisy

Let’s go with the “Two kinds of People in the World” theme for a moment.

As in, there are Two Kinds of People in the world, people who are hip and people who are…me. But I’ve looked at Hip from both sides now, and it seems to boil down to PR. Celebrity is as cheap as paper, or airwaves (which are, theoretically free) so…what’s stopping any of us from achieving what Jessica Simpson has done without any apparent talent other than extreme gravitational resistance?

Because I gotta tell ya, I was watching Dancing with the Stars and all I could think was…where are the Stars? George Hamilton, now he’s a star, but half these people have about as much acclaim as Adam’s housecat. Begging the question…if you don’t know someone is a celebrity…are they one? And conversely, is someone not a celebrity, just because you don’t know them?

Which led me to the inevitable conclusion that I am …the Unknown Celebrity. I am famous for being obscure. Heck, I don’t even tell you my name here, and it’s my blog. My most personal revelations of my thoughts are…anonymous. Because I must protect my Unknown Celebrityhood. Otherwise I might start getting endorsements and the best tables at restaurants and those pesky paparazzi. (Say that again…pesky paparazzi. Pesky paparazzi. That should be a pizza topping.)

And back to Hip…are you Hip and edgy if no one knows you? Or are you just dressed funny? I swear I’ve seen Sienna Miller wearing some stuff my mother wouldn’t let me out of the house in (if she lived with me) and everyone says ‘ooh, let me wear that, too!’ Whereas I tend to think, “And the emperor is still naked.”
I concede that it's possible to be Hip without being famous, but it's gotta be hard. For Hip to exist without celebrityhood...is to carry one’s own universe about on one’s shoulders unsupported. To sustain a self-fantasy, without benefit of memorializing photos and million dollar goody bags, is just exhausting. On the other hand, it's just what every drama major undergrad in America does as a matter of course.
But be careful, babies. The road from hip to bitter is damn short.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home